Monday, June 19, 2006

Well, it's 11:30 and I'm bored. What else to do but check out blogs, including my own and there I remembered that I haven't blogged in months. It's not that I haven't wanted to but I couldn't, I couldn't even leave a comment. Fortunately I got all that technology worked out, as you can see, and am now blogging away. What to blog about........hmmm....(You would think that the longer it's been, the more to write about, but not so.)
We're still living at the in-laws, indefinitely. It's been nice, having people around most of the time and built in babysitters, but I miss having my own home. Plus two women in the kitchen never worked out too well. But who would pass up living for FREE in a totally nice house to have to spend all day cleaning your own. I have so much free time on my hands for some reason. So I've been enjoying books, quilting and exercise. Uh, watching other people exercise, that is.
Go USA!

Ethan is doing well. I'm trying to be unbiased but I think he's just so cute! Like right now he's lying on the bed with his face flat and his butt in the air. He's learned army pseudo crawling, and can stand against furniture for a short time. No words yet, just babble, and still only one tooth.

I have a dilemma that's been keeping me up at night, literally. Please feel free leave comments and advice, whomever you are!
How do I get him to sleep through the night? Actually, I would be happy if he slept longer than just 3 hours at a time! It seems he's regressed in his sleep patterns since he was two or three months old. Does he nap too much during the day? (approximately 3-4 hours) Is he hungry? (I try to feed him food before bed but he's not too interested) Do I succumb to his pitiful cries for the sake of some sleep, when I should be teaching him to cry himself back to sleep? Please help!

6 Comments:

At 2:30 AM, Blogger amy said...

Yay, a post! :D I obviously don't have any experience in the getting babies to sleep department, so sorry, no help here, but I just wanted to say hi and nice to hear how you're doing. :) Are you guys looking for a place to rent, or just holding off for now?

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Hannah said...

Thanks Amy! Maybe I inspired you to post too? Hint, hint!
I think if we move it's going to be into a house, so for now we're just saving some more money. We've got 9 months left that we're welcome here so we'll probably use it up until they kick us out.

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Kathryn said...

Well, of course I'm not an expert, but I'll let you know how I got Gabe sleeping, basically through the night. When Kathy was here we'd make him fall asleep on his own by laying him down in the crib and putting our hand on his tummy (we'd have to hold him down pretty tight because he'd be kicking and twisting -- he's SO strong willed it's amazing). He'd scream and cry and then realize that he wasn't going to win the battle and would fall asleep. I made sure to feed him some bread and baby food from a jar to keep his tummy full. He sleeps SO MUCH BETTER by himself, it's amazing! I don't know what it is, but when he was sleeping in my bed he'd wake up so much to nurse it was frustrating! So, if you have the room, I'd put him in his own crib (and his own room if possible)and see how he does. If he's in his own room and he wakes up crying, it won't bother your sleep as much (and it's not so grating on the nerves), then just let him cry himself back to sleep. One thing Kathy would tell me when Gabe would wake up crying and I was thinking of going in to feed him because I thought he was hungry, "He's not going to starve, Kathryn. He's got a lot of fat." It's so true! And that way he'll learn that sleep time is not eat time. Ok, well I've written a book, so I'll let you get something else done besides reading this comment! Hope it's helpful! And feel free to call whenever! I'm usually home and I'd love to hear from you!

 
At 12:19 AM, Blogger Manda said...

Kathryn's right on. I absolutely had to put Emmy in another room. If she could hear me, she'd wake up several times. Ethan's old enough to sleep at least 6 hours straight without a feeding, so top him up for the night and steel yourself. :) You can nurse him to sleep if it makes you feel better, but don't come to get him when he wakes up in the middle of the night. You'll know what his normal "I want you, Mommy!" as opposed to "I'm hurt and dyyyying!" cry sounds like. He'll probably wail for 10 or 15 minutes, but he'll hunker down again and it shouldn't take more than 3 nights of this before he doesn't wake up at all. He'll quickly learn that you haven't abandoned him. Glad to see you blogging again!

 
At 12:25 AM, Blogger Manda said...

Oh, and Emmy was napping up to 4 hours a day until last week and she's 16 months. Every baby seems to have nap preferences, but 4 hours shouldn't put a dent into his night sleep as long as he's awake for a good three hours before bedtime so he can exhaust himself with his new-found talents.

 
At 12:26 AM, Blogger Manda said...

One more "Oh". haha

*Oh*, and you're not biased. He's one of the cutest EVER! And sweet too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home