Saturday, October 29, 2005


Music:Shhh, the baby is sleeping...
Mood:In love :sigh:

I love our baby!!!
I love it when he smiles, even though it may not mean anything; I love it when he coos when he's happy, I love it when he stares at me with his big eyes; I love it when he snorts when he's so hungry that he can't coordinate himself to nurse properly and then gets more frustrated and snorts more; I love it when he sneezes; I love his sweet breath; I love his long eyelashes; I love his mohawk; I love his long toes; I love his furry ears; I love his perfect lips that don't look anything like the ultrasound photo; I love how he sleeps so much better on my belly than in the crib; I love how long it takes to type a blog entry with one hand because I can't put him down...
Am I a proud mom or what?

We took Ethan on his first real outing (other than the pediatrician) the other day. Where did we go? Wal-Mart, of course. More importantly we tested the baby sling. He loves it! I'll have to put a picture up sometime. He's already getting big for it and I know we'll have to upgrade to big baby size soon. With the way he's eating he's sure to surpass Seth by next week. :D
But hey, I'm glad he's doing well. He lost so much weight that the doctor had us introduce formula to get him eating and pooping so the jaundice would go away. I was not very happy about that since we had just gotten the hang of breast feeding and as he took the bottle more and more, the less he would take the breast. I just about gave up on it, sadly, because that was the last thing I want (but then again, an epidural was also the last thing I wanted going into the delivery and it turned out to be a good thing. A very good thing. :) And this turned out okay too. Once he started to gain weight, we again focused on the breast feeding, even calling in a lactation consultant. She did the trick, and now Ethan is an awesome eater. The next challenge is getting him to sleep in the crib...

5 Comments:

At 1:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So happy to hear that you love being a mommy! It is such a special thing, isn't it? Glad to hear he's eating better. Passing Seth? Hahahha!! He's 26 or 27 lbs. now and he's almost 10 months. :) The more I talk to people that's not so uncommon. Epiderals are nice, especially when you have longer labors. I was so worn out with Abigail that I wouldn't have had the energy to push when it came time had I not gotten an epideral. He doesn't like his crib? It might be because sleeping on you or with you is a lot more cozy and comfortable than sleeping in a bed all by himself. :) If you want him to sleep on his own, just work at laying him down more by himself in his bed, instead of holding him to go to sleep. He might cry a little, but he'll fall asleep. But if you want him sleeping with you all the time, just hold him like you've been doing. Whatever you want to do - you train him, not vice versa. :) If you don't get him sleeping in his bed soon, though, it only gets harder and harder to put him to bed and have him fall asleep on his own. Anyway, glad you wrote to give some news! We'll keep praying for you guys! He's such a cutie!

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Kathryn said...

I can vouch for the difficulty of getting out of the routine of having a baby sleep with you! I know I'm bad ... but Gabe has slept either with me or in a swing and now, I'm trying to wean him of the swing and our bed, but he won't sleep. He'll sleep laying down for about 5-10 min then wake up and start crying and won't stop. It's very hard to get out of the habit, cuz it's so much easier to give in. But, I do enjoy cuddling with him when he sleeps, so I don't know what to do! :p Ps. My son (Matthew) loves Ethan! In church he kept saying "Efan seeping" and then he stirred and said "Efan awake!"

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Hannah said...

Thanks ladies :) I'll keep trying. It's good to know I'm not a bad mom if I let him cry. I think he's getting the hang of it though, he falls asleep alone more quickly now.
Holly, it's so good to hear from you!

 
At 12:53 AM, Blogger Holly said...

Oh, good! It's good to hear from you too! I think I've checked just about everyday to see if you'd written about life as a new mommy. It's such and exciting time, but oh so tiresome. But your body will gradually adjust to getting less sleep...you've now moved up to zomby status. :)

 
At 6:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw:D What a sweet post! I'm so happy for you guys!!! We'll keep praying that little Ethan keeps growing and doing well.. and we're praying for you too, Mommy. Take care of yourself!
~~Irene

 

Post a Comment

<< Home