Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Yes, I took a picture of pancakes. I was just so excited about them actually turning out well! These are called What To Do When You Run Out Of Flour Pancakes. (aka Four Grain Flapjacks) As the name implies I didn't have any flour ready, and three hungry kids not about to wait, so I substituted sourdough starter for the flour in this recipe, which ended up making them so light and moist that I think I prefer it! Well I'll share the recipe and maybe you can try too when you're in a No Flour Dilemma.

Mix:
1 cup starter (or 1 3/4 cup white and wheat flours)
1/2 cup cornmeal (or 1/3 cup if using flour)
1 cup oats (or 1/4 cup)
2 T sugar
1 t salt
1/2 t baking soda
optional:
1/2 t cinnamon
pinch nutmeg
1 cup chopped cranberries (highly recommended!)

Mix separately:
1 cup milk (or 1 3/4 cup)
4 T melted butter
1/4 cup honey
3 eggs

Add wets to drys and mix until just moist. Pour 1/4 cup of batter per pancake on preheated griddle. They are so sweet that they don't even need syrup! We like them with cream cheese on top. Oh by the way, this makes a TON, and they're not great the next day so cut the recipe in half if you're not feeding 14 people.


I gotta share this other recipe also for Pumpkin Gingerbread. Doesn't your mouth just water?

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 inch square pan (for thick, cake-like pieces) or two loaf pans (for bread) or a 9 x 13 inch pan for a thinner servings and that crunchy gingerbread-ness).
Combine:
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 t ginger
1 t cinnamon
1 t nutmeg
Cut in:
3/4 cup butter in pieces until course crumbs. Set aside 3/4 cup of the crumbs for topping.
Combine separately:
2 cups pumpkin puree
2 eggs
1/2 cup molasses
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 t baking soda
Pour into a well made in the remaining crumbs. Stir until moist. Pour into pan and sprinkle with reserved crumbs. Bake 40-45 minutes. *Try* and wait for it to cool before eating; honestly it will taste better (and you'll have the tastebuds to taste it!)

3 Comments:

At 3:57 PM, Blogger Kristie said...

Alright Hannah, way to cook seasonally. Those spices, pumpkin, and cranberry!!!!

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger Hannah said...

I love it! Thanks for the inspiration!

 
At 12:22 AM, Blogger amy said...

I tried to comment a couple days ago, but it wouldn't let me. Anyway, just wanted to day that I'm so going to try both of these. I've been very into pancakes lately, which is unusual because I'm not much of a breakfast person. I can almost smell the pumpkin gingerbread just reading the recipe. :D Thanks for sharing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home