Friday, February 22, 2008

I wanted to blog again but it's been so long I didn't know what to write. So I went to some other blogs that I frequent to remember what people write about in these things and I got into the happenings of my friends lives. Then I hear "...I gotta be patient..." and oh! I forgot I told Ethan I'd get him a drink. How long has he been waiting? ok, I sit back down and start typing with one hand while feeding Ezra in the other, one eye on Ethan threatening to squish Noah with love, who is lying on the floor next to me. I get distracted with Ezra's big eyes staring at me "thanks mom; this sure is yummy". We have a moment. Then I hear a delighted squeal "He's got it! He can eat it!" I look over and Ethan is trying to share his candy with Noah, who managed to get a grasp of a sweetheart. "Uh thanks honey, that's nice of you to share but we don't give the babies food yet. No candy. Or cucumbers. I thought we went over this?" whew. (ever hear of stream of consciousness writing? it was popular at one point right?) ok, back to the blog. oop, nope, Ethan has something to say but I cant figure out what he's saying. I look at him like he has three heads: You ate a truck? You want a duck? He gives up and settles for jumping on my back. ok now, seriously I gotta get going on the blog. So what I decided to write about was.....was......oh right. I've been reading a book called The Well Educated Mind by Susan Wise Bauer, which is a sequel to The Well Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Wise. The first is a guide to classical homeschooling which I read a couple years ago and by chance happened across the sequel when at the library, looking for something more stimulating than Dr. Suess to read. So anyway, she gives a list of "great books" to read on your own time and how to study them in a classical way. I appreciate her list because even though she includes what others consider "great" but they only amount to a pile of paper, in my opinion, she also includes some blatantly Christian writings, such as Pilgrim's Progress, John Bunyan's autobiography, and the story of Mary Rowlandson, a puritan. (Really good story if you want to read it; it goes quickly) I have this crazy ambition to get through a few of the books on her list that I hadn't read before (Gulliver's Travel's, Ben Franklin's Autobiography, Bunyan's autobiography, Walden, 1984 and some others).
I'm also knitting a blanket for my sister's first baby coming sometime this fall. I found the pattern here and it looks ( from the few rows I have done) that it will be pretty cool. It's a good thing I have a few months yet to finish it because it's slow going.
Well that's it, or atleast all I have time for. If I sit here any longer who knows what my consciousness will spew out. Thanks for enduring!

6 Comments:

At 10:05 PM, Blogger tammy said...

wow! congrats Auntie! thats so exciting! Rachel as a mom, thats great!

thanks for the post, it is so a mom's life. i miss you all. :(

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Lauren said...

Happy Birthday Hannah! Glad to see things are going so well. We should catch up sometime. Oh and I'm engaged! Miss you.

Lauren

 
At 4:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's so good to hear how you are doing! I can't imagine how you do it with three little, little ones! John's been reading Ben Franklin's autobiography and it's really interesting. He was such a unique man - lots of lessons to be learned from that book. I always remind my kids to eat what's been given to them and be like Ben Franklin, who didn't complain about what was put before him. You'll enjoy it. The one about the puritan woman sounds good to me.

 
At 4:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that last one was from me, Holly :)

 
At 11:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Hannah, I'm glad to hear you're keeping your head above water, you busy gal!!!! Your boys are gorgeous, I love the pictures you post :) LOL I hated "Gulliver's Travels", but maybe you'll like it better than I did... I've been trying to read some classics lately (reading Dostoyevsky right now) but it's soooo hard to find the time, eek! I'll try and write you an email soon. I hope you guys are doing really well...... the Lord bless you and keep you!!!!!! Love ya!!! :)

 
At 11:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. Yeah I don't really blog anymore, I've opted for something a little more private (Facebook) and put some updates up there. Are you on Facebook by any chance??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home