Friday, September 10, 2004

mood: uh, sweaty? is that a mood...
music: norma jean- memphis will be laid to waste

all i know now is regret
she follows like a silhouette
on the cobblestone behind me
she's nothing left to say except to innocently ask
her voice as delicate as glass
do you see me when you pass?
but i
i continue on my way...
~norma jean


so, not once but twice now ive tried to blog only not to save it and lose it after hours and hours of deliberating over the precision of every word. this is quite discouraging and so i temporarily gave up blogging, and though from avid blog readers who check these things to see how us east coast americans are doing it would seem that i had ceased to exist; i have not.
summer is over already and i feel like ive done nothing athough im sure thats not true. ive spent much of my time building a hunchback from bending over the sewing machine handcrafting something or other. id call them clothes but no one else thinks so. i listed one item on ebay to sell: a handmade patchwork hippie dress (with a free hemp necklace) and no one bought it, not only that but they never even bid. i guess it happens; i gotta stick with it, but man, being a seamstress is not as profitable as being a poopsmith. just to equal the money i get at the hospital, id have to sell a dress daily made in 8 hours for almost $100. there's no way. so much for that idea. regardless of no hope of profit, ive still got website going up for my unproductive company. (www.oathofstitches.com it helps to know the best webmaster :D)

i started school last week, last semester EVER. im kinda glad and kinda sad. school is fun because you can avoid all the responsibilities of an "adult life": working a lot, bills, monotony.... (jk, sorta). tons of people ask me: so what are you going to do when you're done with school?
its still up in the air though now i have some better direction, which is to go the opposite way i was going. forget medicine, nursing, and the smelly hospital (well maybe i wont forsake bum-buffing yet). i managed to postpone adulthood another whole year by getting an internship too with an interior designer. i get to sit around all morning and do what i love, creating, designing and feeling pretty fabrics. of course i make no money but thats what the smelly hospital is for.
being young is so carefree it scares me sometimes. i know that one day ill wake up and be like my parents: up to their eyeballs in debt because they didnt spend and save money well when they had it. i do have something to save up for now though, which might help me develop some good habits. one of my roomates, lisa, and i are moving out to our own apartment at the end of september. we've got a lot of painting, window treating and upholstering to do and thats not cheap.

sigh.

so anyhow, thats life for me. it is good. me likey :D



heh, a song called John West just came on launchcast.

10 Comments:

At 4:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you moving into Albany or are you staying in the same area as before?

-Chris

 
At 10:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you chose wisely to forsake the nursing career. By your derogatory comments such as "bum-buffing", I see that you do not hold the profession or the integrity of it in high esteem. Our standards must be higher in Canada that yours are in the states, as you would most likely be fired on the spot for comments like that, as the nursing staff must display professionalism at all times and treat all their patients with dignity and honor, regardless of their physical infirmaties. If I had a loved one in the care of a nurse that referred to "bum-buffing' while caring for them, I would be deeply offended. Therefore I am glad you are getting into interior design. Leave nursing to those who view the profession more as a ministry than as a disgusting duty.

Just my .02.......Ginny

 
At 10:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you chose wisely to forsake the nursing career. By your derogatory comments such as "bum-buffing", I see that you do not hold the profession or the integrity of it in high esteem. Our standards must be higher in Canada that yours are in the states, as you would most likely be fired on the spot for comments like that, as the nursing staff must display professionalism at all times and treat all their patients with dignity and honor, regardless of their physical infirmaties. If I had a loved one in the care of a nurse that referred to "bum-buffing' while caring for them, I would be deeply offended. Therefore I am glad you are getting into interior design. Leave nursing to those who view the profession more as a ministry than as a disgusting duty.

Just my .02.......Ginny

 
At 10:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you chose wisely to forsake the nursing career. By your derogatory comments such as "bum-buffing", I see that you do not hold the profession or the integrity of it in high esteem. Our standards must be higher in Canada that yours are in the states, as you would most likely be fired on the spot for comments like that, as the nursing staff must display professionalism at all times and treat all their patients with dignity and honor, regardless of their physical infirmaties. If I had a loved one in the care of a nurse that referred to "bum-buffing' while caring for them, I would be deeply offended. Therefore I am glad you are getting into interior design. Leave nursing to those who view the profession more as a ministry than as a disgusting duty.

Just my .02.......

 
At 10:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry for the triple comment post. I kept getting an error that wouldn't let me post and then I see all came through. Sorry about that.

Ginny

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger amy said...

I don't really think she meant the comment to be offensive, but rather intended in a light-hearted I'd-really-rather-not-be-doing-this-for-a-living sort of way. :) I am positive that, being a Christian, she treats her patients with the utmost respect and dignity. I've heard nothing but good things about her from the Albany church people who know her well.

It's nice to see you blogging again, Hannah. :) I'm thinking about starting mine up again too. Btw, how much are you selling your dresses for?

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger Leah said...

I thought I'd add my bit in here too, being in the nursing profession myself and having something to say about it. :) I can understand some of the frustrations, at times, of what you're going through....it's not an easy job, never is, never will be. Regardless, I do strongly disagree with base terminology, though, humor or not. In a recent discussion with a fellow nursing student regarding respect and the elderly ( or persons in care ), I believe that the command in Exodus to "Honour thy father and thy mother" very much applies to this situation. We are to honour our elders especially, as well be respectful of all, for we are all made in God's image. How is such terminology honouring? On a another level though, as my grandmother is in a home for the elderly, I would be appalled and angry if the staff where she is living talked about the residents like that. Second , I think one must also consider that to classify an NA as a "bum buffer/wiper" is like calling Jesus a "foot washer".....bear with me here. Jesus throughout His ministry taught the importance of serving in the most menial ways -- that such serving was very highly considered (see Matt 13 and consider...feet washing was one of, if not the lowest task one could perform in those days. Christ didn't look down upon it, or look down upon those who performed it, but rather used it as an example for us to follow. If Christ, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords is willing to wash sinners feet, is there a task that is too menial for us?). Having said all of this, (and having overextended my welcome,I'm sure :))...consider that any of you may in the future, even near future, need such care from a nurse. Having a nurse that holds her calling and her patients in high esteem will make your hospital stay a million times better. Matthew 5:7.

 
At 11:00 PM, Blogger Leah said...

P.S. I just wanted to add that while my tone may have been on the harder side, I do mean well. :) Honestly! It's obvious that you are a compassionate person with a serving heart, or else you would not have desired to go into nursing in the first place; and I have no doubt that you seek to do well in the place where the Lord has called you. My comments were given to possibly give another side to how some of your terminology can be/is perceived by others (since there are several other people who found it hard to swallow). So that we can be critical and judgmental? I pray not! And I hope it does not come across that way. At the same time, we all need to be cautious of the testimony we give to others. I hope your others career opportunities work out well --- decorating would be so much fun! :) Blessings!

 
At 1:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hannah,

Your comments seemed much in align with your style of personality and humor. I in no way found you to be crass or offensive, but then again my skin can be thick to those things. Having been in the employed in the medical field for over four years, not counting the several years at the nursing home across from hudson valley, i have found almost every nurse, including charge and administration to address Techs as "Butt-whipers", "Poop-Patrolmen", "Crap-Cleaners", "Candie-Stripers", "Code Brown Team members" and the like. Yet as with you Hannah, they NEVER used such terminology amongst patients or within the clinical setting. Although they did feel comfortable among their FRIENDS and FAMILY using such 'stress-releiving' verbage.

I know that it is truly a very humbling occupation, And having spent a lot of my life in one hospital or another; I'm certain if humor was absent the scenarios would have been that much more dreadful. And no doubt there is never any level as open to-and-for communication as is the level on which humor resides. You could NEVER even begin to relate to an openheart patient whose EF has fallen to astonishing lows, or an ortho-patient with massive swollen and deformed body-regions. Humor, as you have wonderfully learned, can branch those places of discomfort and create relaxation, and most usually form trust which paves open the way for the gospel.

I hope that that ugly and stupid webmaster of yours does a better job, and that your sewing company takes off. :p :D Oh, and keep those little-old-lady-butts shinny darlin. ;) >:D< Here's to poopsmiths everywhere!!

-Edward JS Prevost II
(Love covers a multitude of sins)

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Hannah said...

is that how you spell shinny? ;;) :p :D >:D<

 

Post a Comment

<< Home